Panathlon is expanding its programme of regional finals for the 2015/16 season as the strongest teams across the country come together in a series of six best-of-the-best finals.
24 teams, including 20 county champions, from Hampshire in the south to Gateshead in the north, will battle it out as over 400 competitors take the step up to the next level of Panathlon competition.
Now in its second year, our regional finals programme has doubled in size to extend Panathlon’s sporting pathway and provide another level of competition to twice as many participating teams.
In most cases, schools start out on the Panathlon ladder with their own intra-school training or competition, before taking on neighbouring schools in local competitions. Our Panathlon county finals provide the next step up for competing teams, but that was as far as it went until the regional finals were introduced in 2014.
Now, county champions from across England get to test themselves against others from their region at the very top level of Panathlon competition.
We have three regional finals in November, including the new West Midlands regional final in Birmingham, with a further three to follow in the new year, including the new Yorkshire and north east regional finals.
Here’s a list of competing teams to take the next step up this year. Good luck to you all and may the best teams win!
South regional final – Surrey Sports Park, 3rd November 2015
– Kent champions Malling & Sevenoaks (Five Acre Wood, Grange Park and Valence Schools)
– Surrey champions The Ridgeway and Sunbury Manor Schools
– Hampshire champions Baycroft School
– Berkshire’s Arbour Vale School, winner of the 2015 Stoke Mandeville Invitational (Comp A)
West Midlands regional final – Nechells Community Centre, Birmingham, 4th November 2015
– Birmingham champions Fairfax School
– Birmingham runners-up Hall Green School
– Worcestershire champions Chadsgrove School
– Warwickshire representatives Campion, Myton and Round Oak Schools, winner of the 2015 Stoke Mandeville Invitational (Comp B)
Central regional final – Stoke Mandeville Stadium, Stoke Mandeville, 25th November 2015
– Northants champions Billing Brook School
– Wiltshire champions Swindon Red (Uplands and Brimble Hill Schools)
– Oxfordshire champions Kingfisher School
– Buckinghamshire champions Bucks South West (Highworth Combined and Stony Dean Schools)
East regional final – Braintree College, 24th March 2016
– Essex champions Thurrock (Beacon Hill Academy, Ockenden Academy and Harris Academy)
– Suffolk champions St Edmundsbury (Priory and Riverwalk Schools)
– Winner of the Cambridgeshire Panathlon on 6th November
– Winner of the Hertfordshire Panathlon on 26th November
Yorkshire regional final – Energise York, 21st April 2016
– North Yorkshire champions York (Applefields School)
– North Yorkshire runners-up Hambleton & Richmond (Springwater and Brooklands Schools)
– Winner of the West Yorkshire Panathlon on 3rd December
– Winner of the new South Yorkshire Panathlon on 11th March
North east regional final – Eston Leisure Centre, 22nd April 2016
– Tyne & Wear champions Gateshead (Cedars Academy)
– Tees Valley champions Middlesbrough (The King’s Academy)
– Tees Valley runners-up Hartlepool (Springwell School)
– Durham representatives Trinity School (wild card)