The Coronavirus and lockdown has meant the cancellation of thousands of fundraising events for charities up and down the country and also suspension of all Panathlon activities for now.
The London Marathon, which should have taken place on Sunday 26 April, is the world’s biggest one-day fundraising event, and would have raised a huge amount of money for many charities – and one of the runners would have been supporting Panathlon.
The organisers of the Marathon are asking everybody to take part in the 2.6 Challenge on Sunday 26th April – the day thousands of people would have been running 26.2 miles, to raise money for your favourite charity.
Whatever your age or ability, you can take part. There are no rules – apart from the Government guidelines on how to exercise safely during this time. The main thing is to get active, have fun, and fundraise whatever you can afford for charity (but ideally for Panathlon!)
Whether you’re running around the garden lots of times for 2.6 miles, doing 26 press-ups, or bouncing on the trampoline for 26 minutes, or whatever activity suits you – do what you can and raise a few pounds for Panathlon in the process – by getting your friends and family to sponsor you.
All you need to do is dream up an activity based around the numbers 2.6 or 26 that suits your abilities and complete it on Sunday April 26.
Here’s Georgie, one of our ex-competitors and now a Young Leader, with her own ideas of what you can do to have some fun in the process.
Just a few other suggestions (26 of course) you may like to try –
1. Run or walk for 2.6 miles or for 26 minutes (indoors or outdoors)
2. Throw and catch a ball 26 times
3. Shoot 26 basketball or netball hoops
4. Complete 26 shoulder shrugs
5. Bike ride for 2.6 miles
6. Balance a bean bag on your head for 26 minutes
7. Challenge yourself to 26 press-ups
8. Throw your boccia balls 26 times
9. Do 26 football keepie uppies or headers
10. Skip for 2.6 minutes without any mistakes
11. Push your wheelchair for 2.6 minutes or even 2.6km
12. Jump 26 times on a trampoline (or just on the spot if you don’t have one)
13. Walk 2.6km around your house
14. Hold the plank for 26 seconds or 2.6 minutes (156 seconds!)
15. Hold a head or handstand (if you can) for 2.6 minutes
16. Do 26 star jumps
17. Keep hitting a tennis ball in the air for 26 minutes without dropping it
18. Hop 26 times or for 26 minutes
19. Make some skittles and knock them over 26 times
20. Complete 26 laps of the garden walking, running, or in your chair or frame
21. Do 26 step-ups
22. Juggle for 26 minutes or just 2.6 minutes
23. Walk up and down the stairs 26 times
24. Bake 26 cup cakes
25. Take your dog for a 26 minute walk
26. Sponsored silence for 2.6 hours (to give Mum or Dad a break!)
Thank you for all that take part and try to stay fit and active. And a special thank you for any pennies or pounds you can raise for Panathlon in the process!
Good luck everybody.