Lakeside shopping centre is supporting local disabled children in Thurrock through an investment of new sports equipment for Beacon Hill School in South Ockendon.
A presentation of this new sports equipment will take place at Lakeside Shopping centre on Monday June 22nd at 2pm in the central atrium. This will be followed by a coaching session in several sports with their new equipment by students at Beacon Hill school.
Lakeside Shopping Centre are additionally supporting the local school by enabling many more coaching sessions in various sports to take place over the summer and for the entry of Beacon Hill School in to the Panathlon Challenge; a competitive multi sports event, similar to a mini Paralympic games, for disabled young people.
This year, across the country, the Panathlon Challenge will involve over 2,500 young disabled sportsmen and women in a series of competitive sporting events, all being rewarded with medals and trophies. Events will take place in London, Liverpool, Plymouth, Kent and, new for 2009, Essex.
Sophie Scott, Marketing Manager for Lakeside said, “We are delighted to be supporting Beacon Hill School and the young disabled people in Thurrock. We hope they get many hours of enjoyment and fun out of their new sports kit !!. I wish Team Lakeside Thurrock good luck in their Panathlon Challenge competition against the other teams in Essex”
Brandon Mullin from Beacon Hill School said, “ Many thanks to Lakeside for enabling us to compete in the Panathlon Challenge this year, and for the fantastic free sports equipment – the kids love it !”
For further information on Panathlon Challenge, please go to www.panathlon.com
NOTES TO EDITORS
• Panathlon Challenge has been delivering competitive opportunities for young people in various cities, including London, Liverpool and Bristol since 1996. Panathlon now concentrates its fundraising work for young people with disabilities. It will involve around 2,500 young people during 2009 and this year will involve expansion to the counties of Essex and Kent.
• Panathlon Challenge will be delivering training days, free sports equipment and coaching funds in London, Essex, Kent, and Liverpool in 2009. First Round competitions will take place before Easter and the Finals will be in the summer.
• Liberty International PLC is one of the UK’s largest listed property companies and a constituent of the FTSE-100 Index of the UK’s leading listed companies. Liberty International converted into a UK Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) on 1 January 2007. Liberty International owns 100 per cent of Capital Shopping Centres (“CSC”), the premier UK regional shopping centre business. Lakeside shopping centre in Thurrock, Essex is the flagship shopping centre in the company’s portfolio. For further information on Liberty International Corporate Responsibility projects please visit http://www.liberty-international.co.uk/cr
• Lakeside is open from 10am ‘til 10pm weekdays, Saturday 9am – 9pm and Sunday 11am – 5pm. The Boardwalk is a new leisure area at Lakeside Shopping Centre bringing you a host of restaurants, plus a revolutionary new concept Vue cinema. Lakeside Shopping Centre and the adjoining Retail Park form one of the largest shopping areas in Europe. Over 20% of the UK population live within a 1 hour drive of Lakeside. Lakeside Shopping Centre is part of the Capital Shopping Centres portfolio
• The Panathlon Foundation Charity (1072638) is funded by a variety of sources including the Football Foundation, Jack Petchey Foundation and BBC Children in Need.
• Dame Tanni Grey -Thompson, one of the UK’s most distinguished athletes of all time, winner of 11 Paralympic gold medals and holder of 30 world records, and also a strong supporter of the Panathlon Challenge says “Panathlon is striving to give everyone a chance to participate, regardless of ability and that is something I applaud. Good luck to everyone taking part in Panathlon this year.”
• Further details about Panathlon Challenge can be obtained from www.panathlon.com
Enquiries to –
Ashley Iceton, Panathlon Challenge, 01277 373580 or Ashley@panathlon.com
Sophie Scott, Lakeside 01708 860087 or email@example.com