Liko (UK) Ltd, one of the leading suppliers of lifts and slings for patients, care staff and physically disabled people, has announced an investment of £3,000 in the Panathlon Challenge, the competitive multi sports event for disabled young people
The donation will help around 50 young disabled people in the London Borough of Newham to participate in Panathlon in 2009. It will also give them access to a disability sports club which will be set up at Eastlea school in Canning Town. In addition it will pay for transporting the youngsters to the school, regular coaching sessions and participation in the Panathlon Challenge sports competition against other East London Boroughs.
In 2009 the Panathlon Challenge will involve over 2,500 young disabled sportsmen and women around the country in a series of competitive sporting events, all being rewarded with medals and trophies.
Bob Parsons, Managing Director said, “We are delighted to be investing in the Panathlon Challenge and young disabled people in Newham. Our company motto is ”Lifts with Care”, reflects the vision for those whom we develop our products for. Investing in the disabled young people in East London though the Panathlon Challenge is an ideal way we can practically show we care for the people who use our products.”
John Hymers, Chair of the Panathlon Foundation said, “We are delighted that Liko (UK) Ltd has invested in the Panathlon Challenge in East London. This donation will help young disabled people in East London to receive expert coaching, specialised sporting equipment and mini-Paralympic type sports competitions. We are very grateful for their generous support.”
For further information on Panathlon Challenge, please go to www.panathlon.com
NOTES TO EDITORS
• Panathlon Challenge has been delivering competitive opportunities for young people in various cities, including London, Liverpool and Bristol since 1996. Panathlon now concentrates its fundraising work for young people with disabilities. It will involve around 2,500 young people during 2009 and this year will involve expansion to the counties of Essex and Kent.
• Panathlon Challenge will be delivering training days, free sports equipment and coaching funds in London, Essex, Kent, and Liverpool in 2009. First Round competitions will take place before Easter and the Finals will be in the summer.
• Liko shall offer care staff and physically disabled patients efficient, easy-to-use, safe assistive devices, mainly for use in connection with lifting.” This is our business concept since more than 20 years. It says a lot about our focus on specialization.
• Today, Liko are market leading in the Nordic region and we have nearly 20% of the world market. That clearly shows how well our products have succeeded. Liko now employs more than 275 people worldwide. Liko is a Hill-Rom company, www.hill-rom.com
• The Panathlon Foundation Charity (1072638) is funded by a variety of sources including the Football Foundation, Jack Petchey Foundation and BBC Children in Need.
• Panathlon has won three National Sportsmatch Awards and was awarded Community Organisation of the Year 2006, by the London Development Agency.
• Dame Tanni Grey -Thompson, one of the UK’s most distinguished athletes of all time, winner of 11 Paralympic gold medals and holder of 30 world records, and also a strong supporter of the Panathlon Challenge says “Panathlon is striving to give everyone a chance to participate, regardless of ability and that is something I applaud. Good luck to everyone taking part in Panathlon this year.”
• Further details about Panathlon Challenge can be obtained from www.panathlon.com